Friday, February 25, 2011

Jiggle in My Wiggle

Housewives of the 50s weighed less and ate more. Women got up and made biscuits, eggs and bacon for breakfast instead of having a cup of yogurt and weighed an average of 10-20 lbs. less than we do now. (Depending on what source you look at. Several sources have placed average weight difference in that range.)
Why is that?
Experts have talked about housewives are more active than the career women of the world.  I guess I didn't think it was true. I mean, I went to the gym consistently as a career woman. But can a housewife really destroy more calories in a day than a 1 hour spinning class by a career woman?
 I've effortlessly lost 10 lbs. of baby weight off since I quit my cubicle job. Why?

Reasons:

1. I don't have to contend with work food days anymore or the nice lady with candy on her desk.
2. I make dinner at night and save enough for leftovers the next day. I don't eat lunch out anymore.  Even more helpful, if I do have a hankering for a cheeseburger from a fast food joint, I know I have to bundle my 4-month-old and pack her into the car and get her out, etc. It's not worth it. I'll stick with my leftovers.
3. Laundry day. My husband and I used to do our own laundry. Now I do his and my daughter's laundry which we didn't have before. The result is that I now haul anywhere from 9-11 loads of laundry up and down the steps to the machines every Monday.
4. To be honest, I would let cleaning slide when I worked. It may be once a week or every other week. There is no excuse now. I clean at least once a week and it's much more thorough. Cleaning does actually count as a workout right?
5. Taking care of a little one requires one to bend, stretch, crawl to reach a toy that rolled out of reach. I didn't bend, stretch, or reach much in the cubicle.
6. The opportunites for working out are better. If I know my daughter is going to take a quick nap, I fire up the Wii fit and do some super hula hoop. (Advanced level 10 minutes. That's right suckers!)
7. On nice days, I go for walks and take my daughter. Besides the fact that I feel like I'm playing hooky or something by walking around at 1:00 on sunny weekdays, pushing a stroller with a 14 lb. child in it up hills in the neighborhood is much harder than just a simple carefree walk.  I love this time and can't wait for full on spring to come. I love coming in on a weekday after a walk and smelling fresh air on my clothes.

Housewives don't need no stinkin' gym.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! That's a good reason to be a house husband. I'll have to talk to the Mrs. about that. :)

    By the way, I hate that little wii fit. First time I got on it and did my body test it squealed out, "Oh my! You're Obese!" Thanks for boosting the ole self esteem, Mr. Wii. For the record, I am not. But yes, I do need to shed a few pounds that I've put on since getting married. My wife is in complete agreement with that, but for some reason she keeps feeding me! (Which I am very grateful for, especially since she stays as busy or busier than I am)

    ReplyDelete