Saturday, February 12, 2011

Here's Your Birthday Gift

"Here's your birthday gift. I hope you like it because you paid for it."
Those words came out of my mouth the other day when I showed my husband the mini fridge with freezer that I got him for his mancave downstairs. I purchased it online through Upromise to help save for my kid's college but still felt guilty because I technically didn't purchase it did I? I know that I'm a work from home mom now and probably could have purchased it with my editing/writing money, but I paid for it with the money from his paycheck. 

Here's the rub:
How do stay at home moms/housewives rationalize buying their spouse gifts for Christmas, birthdays, and anniversaries when the person bringing home the bacon is paying for their own gift? Should I just give some money right back to him and tell him to go pick it out himself?

What the hell do I do if he doesn't like it?

Think about it. If you get an ugly sweater from someone, somewhere in the back of your mind you think, "well at least I didn't pay for it."

Well, if I get my husband something that sucks, he's technically paid for it unless I pull the writing/editing money to pay for it and that's usually designated for something else.

I think I'm also having a hard time with still relying on him for the most part for financial survival. If I had all day to write and edit, that would be one thing. But since I'm wiping a butt (two if you count my own I guess) and doing tummy time 3 times a day, I don't have the luxury of writing ALL day.

In a nutshell, I purchased items for other people for 15 years of my life with my own money. It's very hard being generous with someone else's money especially to that particular person.

This is all so confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment