Thursday, April 21, 2011

Missing It

I don't mean work. But do any moms out there ever miss the spontaneous adventure of life before marriage and children? I know. I know. I used to complain that I didn't have a husband or children when I didn't have them. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change anything about my life now. I've had my adventure. I've had the fun. But let me give you an example of what I mean.

After a day of poop up the back syndrome and coupon Thursday at my local Shop N Save, I am getting to go out tonight with two of my favorite girlfriends to the St. Louis premiere of Water for Elephants. This night out calls for the perfect handbag. I have a great Coach bag that my sister gave me as a gift for being in her wedding, but I can't find it. (I remember putting it somewhere and even thinking to myself, "There is a 90% chance I'll never find this again." Oh well, I'll find it in 8 years time.) So I go rummaging through my handbags that I carried as a single woman.
I finally find the perfect purse for tonight, (a 1920's inspired blag bag with a bird and embroidery on the front for retro effect) and begin the task of clearing it of loose change.
I open it and find the following contents:
1 tube of old lipstick that was NOT purchased at Target or Walmart
2 ticket stubs to a rodeo that cowboy Tim and I went to in 1995 on a date
1 old condom that had an expiration date of August 2006
a receipt from Marley's bar for $29.50 which was not a bad tab for a Wednesday night (which is the only night we were ever really at Marley's so it must have been a Wednesday.)
and
3 quarters

For comparison purposes, I went to my purse now and sifted through to see if I could find anything interesting. I didn't. I found 18 coupons, my wallet, hand sanitizer and a diaper.

Life can really change in 5 years and sometimes old purses can really remind you of the person you used to be.

2 comments:

  1. I think everyone misses certain pieces of their "old lives"- whether it be single life, married live with no kids, an old job. We hold on to the memories from the past so tightly because they've help to make us into the women we are today.

    Enjoy your evening out tonight! P.S. - Where have you been? Your blog was one of the first that I followed when I started blogging - I've missed you!

    Best,
    Emily from Nap Time Is My Time

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Emily! That's great to hear that you like the blog. I've been doing some heavy freelance work, but that's cooling off now so I hope to get here more often. :)

    ReplyDelete